Friday, May 25, 2012

Friday Fun: A Week in the Life of a Grad Student

As a graduate student, I don't punch a clock or fill out a time card. Although I have a faculty advisor, I don't have a boss - no one is keeping count of my hours. Most of my work time is spent doing a variety of tasks related to research or teaching, and these often change from week to week. I love the freedom and diversity of the academic life, but the lack of structure means that at the end of the week I'm often unsure of how exactly I spent my time. I like to get a good nights' sleep, so that certainly helps... but for the other 15 or so hours in my day, what exactly am I doing? This question intrigues me and for the past several months I've been thinking I should keep a log of my happenings to see how my days are spent.

So I finally did it back in April. I created a word doc dedicated to the cause, and updated it every time I changed tasks Monday through Friday. I also kept a quick count of how much time I spent working on the weekend. It wasn't the most ordinary week with canceled meetings and a weekend visit to my hometown. But really, is any week "ordinary"? So I figured I'd just go ahead and do it while I was motivated.


What did I find? Well, first, I confirmed what I already knew - a lot of my time goes into getting a good nights' sleep. Monday through Friday I slept an average of 8.5 hours each night, and I think that is actually on the shorter side (I prefer a solid 9-9.5, don't judge me). But when I was awake, I found that I spent about 36 hours working (including 90 minutes over the weekend) which accounts for about 1/3 of my day. I also found that I actually waste less time surfing the internet and watching tv than I thought I did. Only 11% of time was spent on entertainment and socializing, and large chunks of that were spent on what I like to think of as healthy activities: reading before bed (45 to 60 minutes most nights) and socializing (about 30 minutes a day). The rest were spent on the necessities - buying food, making food, eating food, (you get the picture), and exercise. I don't live in Berkeley so I did have an hour and 15 minute commute each way three days of the week, but 25 minutes are spent walking (I put them into the exercise category) and I typically work the other 50 while I'm on the train, so I included that into my work time.

To be honest, when I started calculating these numbers, I was feeling a little embarrassed that I only worked 36 hours. I think many of my fellow graduate students work well over 40 hours per week, and I'd hate to be giving a bad name to graduate students everywhere!  But then I thought of a few reasons to feel better about my level of productivity. First, most graduate students and professors teach at least one class each semester, but this semester I am not teaching. For graduate students at Berkeley, teaching typically consists of leading three small weekly sections (50 minutes each), attending lecture twice a week (an hour and a half each time), holding office hours (2 hours each week), answering email queries from stressed out students, prepping for sections, and grading tests and papers. This 10-20 hour per week job is expected to be done on top of research, so that adds quite a bit to the weekly work tally (though I'm sure the research slides a bit when the teaching load is high). Second, although the US abides by a 40 hour plus work week, I don't think people spend every minute that they are at work actually working. If the number of status updates I see on Facebook are any indication, people are spending quite a bit of their work time doing non-work activities. And finally, for those of us who spend a bit of time each day doing non-work activities at work, recent research suggests that being allowed to do some leisure browsing may actually boost productivity (likely because it gives your brain a much needed break - we can't just work work work without burning out).


But on to the question that I was more interested in - what exactly does "working" entail for someone like me? Some days I feel like I'm answering emails non-stop... is that really where most of my  time goes? Turns out the answer is no. I only spent about 5% of my 36 hours answering emails. The majority of my time (46%) was spent prepping and analyzing data, and integrating my results. This work was focused on two projects - putting together the results from several different studies I'd run in the previous couple of years, and analyzing the data from a new experiment for which I had just finished collecting data. The second biggest chunk of time (28%) was spent writing and editing. During the week I recorded, I was writing two papers, revising one paper, and editing a paper for a student. Everything else I did (emails, meetings, keeping track of ongoing experiments, and miscellaneous work such as reading over a grant review or looking up literature citations) was a rather small chunk of time. In all, more than 90% of what I do involves sitting at my computer. No wonder why I feel like I spend more time with it than with my husband!

You might notice that there is no category for classes. I took most of my classes my first and second years of graduate school, and have only sporadically taken a class here or there since then. I do attend two colloqiua each week which count as classes, but for some reason this week they were both canceled.

I feel like I should conclude this post with some cogent and meaningful statement linking my findings back to psychology, but really I just did this because I was curious to see what I did from day to day, and I am posting about it because I like to share unnecessary info about myself with others. I did find recording my activities to be illuminating and am glad I did it. Though now I am left wondering how similar my experience of a typical week is to others.


Graduate students - how many hours per week do you spend working? Is your work activity break down similar to mine? For those of you who have more typical 9-5 jobs, how many of those hours do you think you spend actually working?



Coker, B. (2011). Freedom to surf: the positive effects of workplace Internet leisure browsing New Technology, Work and Employment, 26 (3), 238-247 DOI: 10.1111/j.1468-005X.2011.00272.x

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I also struggled with feeling like I should be working every waking hour, and always feeling like I wasn't doing enough. However, I eventually realized that although I will have really busy periods of work (studying for qualifying exams, putting together grant applications, etc), on average, I want to have a balanced life. I also think I've learned to be efficient with my work time - I'm always surprised by how much I can accomplish on my 50 minute commute, so 6-8 actual hours of work each day = getting quite a lot done.

    I just think that our lives are only going to get more complicated and busy, so now is the time to establish work-life balance and be okay with having fun too. I don't want a life where I'm expected to work all weekend every weekend, so why should I set myself up for that now??

    Thanks for the app recommendation! I might have to try it, though I am a little afraid that counting my time could be like counting calories - making me too aware, concerned, and stressed about whether I'm making the most of each minute. Do you find that happening when you use it?

    Thanks for reading!

    Amie

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU for this, Amie! This is great to know. One forum cited an estimate of 126 hours per week--I kid you not! I start on Thursday and was unsure as to what I should expect. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to calculate if there are even 126 hours in a week. I have never met a grad student who worked 18 hours per day seven days per week. I think you can rest assured no one will expect that from you.

      Best of luck with grad school!

      Amie

      Delete